Harold White joined the British Council as a photographer for their newly formed Photographic Department in 1942. He favoured industrial photography showing people in their working surroundings rather than studio photography. This position meant travelling the British Isles and meeting people from many different walks of life.
Following this, he was commissioned by the NCB to record working miners and mining communities in 1950s-1960s. This collection of negatives were donated to the Museum by his family.