WOW! Library Detectives
WOW – I found it in the Library!
So many people have come to the Library and had a WOW moment!
They have found a piece of their history in the Library:
- an ancestor mentioned in the HMI Inspectors of Mines
- a NCB training booklet they haven’t seen since they worked in the mines
- a picture of their ancestor in a colliery file
- information about a colliery their ancestor worked at
- why an ancestor won a medal
- mining men in the new year’s honours
Have you had your WOW moment today? Come to the Library and see if we can WOW you!
Henry Illsley, a 14 year old boy working in the mines
The Library visitor was looking for a Henry Illsley pre 1914, who died at the age of 14, run over by loaded tubs. We found him listed in Mining Deaths in Great Britain. This resource also helped in finding the precise date, which in this case was 1880.