Our virtual packages can be accessed from the classroom or at home. While nothing can replace the experience of the real thing, these sessions give you unique access to areas of the museum that are out of bounds to the public. All of these workshops support the English curriculum development of spoken language in addition to historical and/or scientific knowledge. A typical workshop includes:
- 1 hour live workshop led by our skilled learning team Selection of short, pre-recorded videos
- Archive video footage, audio and images
- Live Q&A with a miner or a living history character
- Teacher guide
- Pre and post workshop resources
- Handling materials to support sensory learning
The Museum’s loan boxes stimulate curiosity and provide a hands-on approach to learning. Our range of loans boxes cover different themes but they all typically include objects from our handling collection, photographs, background information and ideas for activities. We a range of loan boxes that can be hired by schools for half a term at a cost of £20.00 per box, per half term.
Downloadable Learning Resources
This collection of factsheets provide an introduction into the history, science and culture of coal mining.