Give • Grow • Get Involved
Looking for volunteering opportunities in the Wakefield, Huddersfield, Dewsbury or Barnsley area?
Join our expanding team and become part of the Museum's friendly face.
Give: Why do we want you?
We want to add to our team of friendly volunteers to help us develop exciting, new experiences that help our diverse visitors to explore more of our 45 acre heritage site.
We need your enthusiasm, knowledge, skills and time to ensure that visitors feel part of the Museum's story. We want to encourage our visitors to get the most out of their day by getting involved.
Our roles are very flexbile with an emphasis on exchanging skills and stories with the rest of our team and visitors.
Grow: What's in it for you?
- Be a part of your local community and national heritage
- Join a friendly team
- Enjoy conversations with our diverse visitors
- Share your skills and knowledge
- Gain new skills and experiences
- Add to your CV
- Gain confidence
Our volunteers also enjoy
- Social and celebratory events
- Training and development opportunities
- Northern Museum Volunteer Pass (this entitles volunteers to various benefits such as free entry and/or additional benefits to other particupating museums across the region)
- 10% discount in the Museum shop & café
The Caphouse Singers, made up of staff and volunteers, were a fantastic addition to the Museum’s social calendar last year. The group was formed as part of year long residency during which folk musicians Bryony Griffith and Andy Seward were tasked with creating a Museum singing group. Using folk music to engage with visitors and share coal mining stories proved to be a great way of increasing well-being and teamwork within the Museum. The Caphouse Singers were received very well by visitors at several celebratory events and even sang underground.
Pam: “As a volunteer I found it immensely rewarding to be in the choir. It made me feel quite emotional to sing and be part of the museum. It gave me a feeling of belonging and worthy of being in a team. Not just a volunteer but part of the whole team. A very warm feeling.
Get Involved: What would you like to do?