Welcome to the National Coal Mining Museum for England
The National Coal Mining Museum for England provides a unique day out filled with grit and charm:
- Pop on a hard hat, a lamp and go an adventure 140 m underground into England’s last deep coalmine. Chat to charismatic former-miners as they tell the tales of their mining careers and the men, women, children, animals and equipment that worked the coal mines for centuries before them. Hear how mining lingo, hardships and dangers shape how we live our lives today.
- Explore 14 galleries and buildings to understand the lives of miners at work, at home and their tools.
- Let off steam in the adventure playground.
- Meet the pit ponies and find out from their keepers what jobs they would have done and what makes them so special.
- Strike up a conversation with the blacksmiths restoring metalwork and creating new works of art
- If there is any time left in the day then explore acres of woodland spotting plants and wildlife and see how bright orange mine water is cleaned.
- Find out why visitors rank us in the Top Five 'Things To Do' in West Yorkshire on Trip Advisor.
See below for all the information you need to plan your visit!