For Families, For Everyone
- The Museum is a family-friendly site, and aims to provide an enjoyable and informative experience for all family members regardless of age or background.
- There are several parent-and-child parking spaces at the Museum located near to the Museum entrance.
- The Museum has baby changing facilities located near the Museum Café, and breastfeeding is welcome in all areas of the Museum.
- Children of all ages are welcome across all areas of the site, including visiting the ponies in the Stables, trying out the interactive displays at Hope Pit, exploring the Nature Trail and letting off steam in the new adventure playground. We also have an indoor play area 'Little Diggers' for Under 5's.
You can be sure of a warm Yorkshire welcome!
Our friendly team of volunteers are on hand to guide you around the Museum so don't be shy - stop and ask for help!
Access for Families
- All Museum buildings are accessible for pushchairs. The Museum's Nature Trail does not include any steps, but some parts can be a steep, and in wet conditions may be difficult for pushchairs or prams. Many of the Museum's buildings are on a single level, but access is facilitated in some places through either a ramp or a lift.
- The underground tour is not accessible for children under five years old, but children aged five years or over are welcome on the tour. Our experienced guides are used to leading tours which include mixed age-groups, and will always do their best to engage, entertain and inform all participants on the tour.
- The new Hope Pit Explore is suitable for children of all ages including under 5's.
Acitivities for Families
- During each school holiday (except Christmas holidays), the Museum holds a variety of activities aimed at family audiences. Art and craft activities are regularly held during holiday week-days, from 1.00pm until 4.00pm, and there are frequent 'living history' performances on the surface, in some of the exhibitions and former colliery buildings.
- The Museum has trails and activities available to buy from Reception, including an activity trail for use in the galleries, and a Nature Trail activity booklet. The Museum frequently offers special trails during special events.
For more information about Family Friendly events, visit our What's On page.
Learning for Families
- The Museum is a good environment for families to come and learn together. It has a strong educational remit, and a dedicated education team. As well as content in the galleries and on the underground tour, activities during school holidays such as living history presentations and art and craft activities often have designated learning outcomes aimed at a range of ages and abilities, and parents and guardians are strongly encouraged to join in, to help their children participate and learn.
The Museum has been accredited by the Children's University as a learning destination. For further details see the Wakefield Children's University website. Alternatively, for information about this or any other aspect of learning at the Museum, please contact a member of the Museum's education team by email or by telephone on 01924 848806.