For Families, For Everyone
- The Museum is a family-friendly site, and aims to provide an enjoyable and informative experience for all family members regardless of age or background.
- There are several parent-and-child parking spaces at the Museum located near to the Museum entrance.
- The Museum has baby changing facilities located near the Museum Café, and breastfeeding is welcome in all areas of the Museum.
- Children of all ages are welcome across all areas of the site
>> visiting the ponies in the Stables
>> trying out the interactive displays at Hope Pit
>> exploring the Nature Trail
>> being creative with the art cart
>> getting hands on in the Mining Lives Gallery
>> letting off steam in the fantastic new adventure playground
>> plus there's an indoor play area 'Little Diggers' for Under 5's
>> discover the whole 45 acre site using our free iSPY app
You can be sure of a warm Yorkshire welcome!
Our friendly team of volunteers are on hand to guide you around the Museum so don't be shy - stop and ask for help!
Access for Families
- All Museum buildings are accessible for pushchairs.
- The Museum's Nature Trail does not include any steps, but some parts can be a steep, and in wet conditions may be difficult for pushchairs or prams.
- Many of the Museum's buildings are on a single level, but access is facilitated in some places through either a ramp or a lift.
- Children aged five years or over are welcome on the tour. Our experienced guides are used to leading tours which include mixed age-groups, and will always do their best to engage, entertain and inform all participants on the tour.
- The new Hope Pit Explore activity is suitable for children of all ages including under 5's.
Activities in the school holidays
- During each school holiday (except Christmas holidays), the Museum holds a variety of activities aimed at family audiences. They all have a mining twist so they're fun and educational. Parents and guardians are strongly encouraged to join in, to help their children participate and learn.
>> art and craft activities on holiday week-days, from 12.30pm until 4.00pm
>> 'living history' performances bringing history to life. On the hour from 12.30pm
>> trails and activities available to buy from Reception, including an activity trail for use in the galleries, and a Nature Trail activity booklet
>> free iSPY app which is a digital trail around the Museum
>> Blacksmith's demos from 11.30am at the Forge, Hope Pit workshop
For more information about Family Friendly events, visit our What's On page.
Learning for Families
- The Museum is a good environment for families to come and learn together. It has a strong educational remit, and a dedicated education team.
The Museum has been accredited by the Children's University as a learning destination. For further details see the Wakefield Children's University website.
Alternatively, for information about this or any other aspect of learning at the Museum, please contact a member of the Museum's education team by email or by telephone on 01924 848806.