Plan your day around the rain
We've got lots to do whatever the weather so snuggle up in our cafe with a lovely hot chocolate or explore the underground mine and galleries around the site.
The Museum is themed into 4 Zones to help you find your way around the 45 acre site. On a rainy day your time will be most enjoyable in The Hub, Caphouse and Hope Pit as Pit Wood is mostly outdoors.
- Book onto tours and activities to discover the story of coal and understand how it changed our nation forever.
- Learn about the work life, home life and the communities that miners lived in, in the Mining Lives Exhibition.
- Little Diggers under 5 will enjoy the Soft Play Area and its brilliant allotment themed games.
- Watch out for special exhibitions in the Mining Lives Gallery and Community Space
- Tuck into a great selection of freshly made hot and cold food
- Buy a memento of your day.
- Pop on a hard hat and travel 140m underground in England’s last deep coal mine to hear stories from former- miners about their careers and understand the roles men, women, children, animals and machinery played in the operation of a mine. 10am-3:15pm Mar-Oct and 10am-2:30 Nov-Feb
- Peer down the 140m Furnace shaft through the 3m toughened glass cover which is set into the lamproom floor at the entrance to the Underground Tour. Will you peep from the edge - or stride boldly to the middle to experience being suspended above a 140m deep black hole? The choice is yours!
- See some of the tools of the trade and learn how they monitored everything going on underground in the Technology Gallery.
- Meet our horse and ponies in the Stable Yard between 10am - 3pm.
- Marvel at the original pithead and see our 1876 steam winder.
- Visit the pithead baths to see where the miners cleaned up at the end of a shift!
- Step into original colliery buildings to understand the mechanical operations of a mine.
- Discover the mighty machinery that was used across the industry, along with vehicles and Trade Union Banners (July-September) in the Power House (open 1pm-4pm most holidays).
- Strike up a conversation with our Resident Blacksmiths (Wednesday-Sunday) and see their demonstrations at 11.30am and 2pm.
Enjoy lively stories and fascinating facts from some colourful characters from mining history! - Available in school holidays only, call ahead of your visit or ask at reception on the day for details.
Art & Craft Sessions
Join the team at the Learning Curve for some creative fun. Available on specific dates across school holidays only, call ahead of your visit or ask at reception on the day for details.