Wacky Wednesday- the perfect way to entertain the kids under 5!
Each week during term time from 10:15-11:00 we combine storytelling, singing and craft activities - the perfect opportunity to drop in and have fun with your Under-5s.
Suitable for children from 9 months.
Doors open early at 9:30, so come and enjoy a coffee, juice and cake before the session starts!
Sign in from 10 for a 10:15 start.
It is a drop-in, donation only event.
We have capacity for 20 children (we prepare crafts for 20). This makes it enjoyable for all. On the rare occasions when the event is oversubscribed there are always plenty of other things to do at the Museum with little ones.
Plus, why not make a day of it
- Stay for lunch in our family-friendly cafe
- Explore the Nature Trail
- Discover our indoor soft play area for under 5s
- Play in the fabulous NEW Adventure Playground
- Visit the ponies and our Clydesdale Finn - don't forget to say hi to our new pony Bud!
- Don't miss the canaries next to the entrance to the Underground Tour!
- Download the iSPY Explore App & explore the Museum together
- Free art cart in the Mining Lives gallery
Each session starts at 10.15 and finishes at 11.00
Sept 13th - Oct 18th
Nov 1st - Dec 6th
Wacky Wednesday Christmas Special 13th Dec (Chargeable / Booking Required)
Jan 10th - Feb 14th
Feb 28th - Mar 28th
Apr 18th - May 23rd
Jun 6th - July 18th
Free entry, but we welcome donations to cover the cost of materials.
If you would like to get involved in becoming one of our Young Families Supporter Volunteers, find out more through our Volunteers Page.
Visitor feedback of Wacky Wednesday
- My husband took our three year old Granddaughter along to the Seaside Special event for under 5's on Wednesday 2 August. Expectations for the event were high and they were not disappointed. The various craft activities were as always well structured and resourced. The stories, songs and additional activities were characteristically well planned, appropriate and engaging. They were very pleased that they'd booked early.
- The newly opened outdoor play area is fabulous.
- If you haven't visited this location you have missed a treat. It is a genuine jewel of a place.
- The site provides extensive free car parking. The museum itself is well worth visiting. You can even go 'down the pit'. There is even a Nature Trail. There are catering facilities and extensive provision is made for picnics.
- Wacky Wednesday has been a great source of enjoyment and our eldest is really going to miss it now she starts school. Fortunately we still have another few years coming with our youngest. The quality if the crafts is comparable to many much more expensive options and the enthusiasm and friendliness of the volunteers makes it a fantastic Wednesday morning. Thank you.
- Wacky Wednesday is a fabulous session for pre-school children. During the year we’ve had so many fabulous Craft Activities which have really engaged the children. The sessions are punctuated with songs and stories. My granddaughter has really enjoyed the sessions . The staff and volunteers are to be congratulated.
- We had a fantastic time at the seaside special, as we do every Wednesday. Brilliant craft activities and stories – Jude loves coming. Thank you.