Wacky Wednesdays - play and learn with your under 5's!
Particularly suitable for pre-school children aged 18 months to 5 years.
Wednesday mornings during term time (see below for dates) from 10:15-11:00 we combine storytelling, singing and craft activities - the perfect opportunity to drop in and spend time playing and learning with your Under 5's.
Our Wacky Wednesday volunteers provide a lively mix of storytelling, themed activities, singing and craft making.
We can accomodate up to 20 children plus their carer. Book on arrival. First come, first served.
11 September – 23 October 2019
6 November – 4 December 2019
8 January – 12 February 2020
26 February – 1 April 2020
22 April – 20 May 2020
3 June – 15 July 2020
Drop in, Free activity, but we welcome donations to cover the cost of materials.
Special events in the school holidays are £5 per ticket and must be booked.
Wacky Wednesday Special Events
Autumn Welly Walk 30 October 2019
Christmas Special 11 December 2019
Science Special Easter 15 April 2020
Seaside Special Summer 19 August 2020
£5 per adult £5 per child (Children under 1s go FREE)
Booking Essential on 01924 848806
Here's some lovely reviews from visitors...
"Wacky Wednesday is a fabulous session for pre-school children. During the year we’ve had so many fabulous Craft Activities which have really engaged the children. The sessions are punctuated with songs and stories. My granddaughter has really enjoyed the sessions . The staff and volunteers are to be congratulated."
"I have been childminding for over 12 years and have never been to anything with the children that engages them so well and offers so much opportunity to develop in so many areas; crafts, singing, stories. It's brilliant, thank you."
"Wonderful Wacky Wednesdays. My son loves coming. Thank you so much."
"This is the best session we attend. The ladies who do the sessions are fantastic with the children and the amount of thought and preparation involved is amazing. It is always educational with very clear links to the coal mine. Thank you to all your staff for helping me make some wonderful memories." Sarah, Early Years Consultant
Sign in from 10 for a 10:15 start.
We have capacity for 20 children (we prepare crafts for 20). This makes it enjoyable for all. On the rare occasions when the event is oversubscribed there are always plenty of other things to do at the Museum with little ones.
Plus, why not make a day of it
- Stay for lunch in our family-friendly cafe
- Explore the Nature Trail
- Discover our indoor soft play area for under 5's
- Play in the fabulous Adventure Playground
- Visit the ponies and our Clydesdale Finn
- Don't miss the canaries next to the entrance to the Underground Tour!
- Get hands-on in the Mining Lives Exhibition
Visitor feedback of Wacky Wednesday
- My husband took our three year old Granddaughter along to the Seaside Special event for under 5's on Wednesday 2 August. Expectations for the event were high and they were not disappointed. The various craft activities were as always well structured and resourced. The stories, songs and additional activities were characteristically well planned, appropriate and engaging. They were very pleased that they'd booked early.
- The newly opened outdoor play area is fabulous.
- If you haven't visited this location you have missed a treat. It is a genuine jewel of a place.
- The site provides extensive free car parking. The museum itself is well worth visiting. You can even go 'down the pit'. There is even a Nature Trail. There are catering facilities and extensive provision is made for picnics.
- Wacky Wednesday has been a great source of enjoyment and our eldest is really going to miss it now she starts school. Fortunately we still have another few years coming with our youngest. The quality if the crafts is comparable to many much more expensive options and the enthusiasm and friendliness of the volunteers makes it a fantastic Wednesday morning. Thank you.
- Wacky Wednesday is a fabulous session for pre-school children. During the year we’ve had so many fabulous Craft Activities which have really engaged the children. The sessions are punctuated with songs and stories. My granddaughter has really enjoyed the sessions . The staff and volunteers are to be congratulated.
- We had a fantastic time at the seaside special, as we do every Wednesday. Brilliant craft activities and stories – Jude loves coming. Thank you.