Seaside @ Pit
Seaside @ Pit : A Summer of Fun!
From Saturday 22nd July - Sunday 3rd September
Join us at the Museum as we commemorate seaside holidays of yesteryear with a FREE giant beach throughout the Summer holidays.
Visit us this Summer & travel 140m underground with a miner as your guide on one of our unique tours. Stay awhile longer in the Museum & visit our Hope Pit site.
Take the 'Seaside Special' train ride to Hope Pit and visit our Beach!
- FREE giant sandpit with deckchairs (buckets & spades available to purchase on site)
- Fairground Rides (fee applies)
- Different seaside theme each weekend throughout the Summer
Sand Sculpture Workshops (fee applies)
Punch & Judy shows (free)
1940s Re-enactment weekend
Crazy Golf (fee applies)
Bank Holiday 26th/27th/28th Aug
Circus Skills (fee applies)
- FREE Seaside-themed family craft actvities Monday-Friday
- Beach Hut throughout the Summer @ Hope Pit selling delicious summer treats & ice cream
- Blacksmith's Forge : Open Wed-Sun
Around the Museum you might also meet one of our Living History Characters & learn more about our coalmining heritage #LearnSomethingNew
Don't forget to visit our special exhibition 'By the People, For the People' commemorating 70 years since Nationalisation of the coal industry.
Also to find out more about the pit join one of our NEW tours
* Tuesdays 14:00 Reedbed Tours FREE
* Thursdays in August 12:30 & 14:00 Hope Pit Explore Donations welcome. Book at reception.
We are also excited to reveal our brand NEW Adventure Playground with lots to do for all ages including our Pit Wheel Zip Wire!
FREE entry + Free Parking for everyone
Plus for the more inquisitive, why not surprise yourself and see...
- An underground tour 140m below the surface with an ex-miner as your own personal tour guide and discover a world beneath your feet.
- Learn more about the museum's galleries, temporary exhibitions and original buildings.
- Furnace shaft display- dare you walk over the 140m shaft that drops into the void?
- Visit our pit ponies Eric and Ernie and Clydesdale Finn in the stables.
- Explore the museum's nature trail and see what creatures big and small you can find
- Family activity trails availible from Reception.
- Download the free iSPY App and find objects around the Museum.
- Enjoy our indoor Under 5's Play Area
- NEW Adventure Playground from 1st August
At the National Coal Mining Museum, we've got a great summer of fun ideal for all the family!