Seaside @ Pit
Seaside @ Pit : It's All Going On This Summer!
From Saturday 21st July - Sunday 2nd September
Visit us this Summer - there's so much to do, you may need to visit more than once!
Find out why visitors rank us in the Top Five Things To Do in West Yorkshire on Trip Advisor.
- Travel 140m underground with a miner as your guide on one of our unique tours.
- Explore the Museum, exhibitions and original colliery buildings
- Visit the stableyard and meet our horses and horsekeepers
- Meet one of our Living History Characters & learn more about our coalmining heritage #LearnSomethingNew
- Science Show at weekends
- Climb & play on our fab adventure playground
- Explore our Nature Trail
- Take the 'Seaside Special' train ride to Hope Pit and visit our Beach!
- Giant sandpit with deckchairs
(buckets & spades available to purchase on site)
- Family craft actvities
Monday-Friday from 12.30pm
- Snap Tin Cafe open throughout the Summer @ Hope Pit selling delicious summer treats & ice cream
- Blacksmith's Forge : Open Wed-Sun
Drop in on these days over the holidays for our regular family activities
Mondays - Living History + Family Crafts
Tuesdays - Living History + Family Crafts + Nature activities in Bird Hide
Wednesdays - Living History + Family Crafts + Motty the Mole Storytelling shack for Under 5's
Thursdays - Puppet Show + Family Crafts
Fridays - Living History + Family Crafts
Saturdays - Science Show
Sundays - Science Show
Why not surprise yourself and see...
- Family Animal Trail £1/child
- An underground tour 140m below the surface with an ex-miner as your own personal tour guide and discover a world beneath your feet.
- Learn more about the museum's galleries, temporary exhibitions and original buildings.
- Furnace shaft display- dare you walk over the 140m shaft that drops into the void?
- Visit our pit ponies Eric and Ernie and Clydesdale Finn in the stables.
- Explore the museum's nature trail and see what creatures big and small you can find
- Family activity trails available from Reception.
- Download the free iSPY App and find objects around the Museum.
- Enjoy our indoor Under 5's Play Area
- FAB Adventure Playground
At the National Coal Mining Museum, we've got a great summer of fun ideal for all the family!