Get Involved: What would you like to do?
Help make our visitors’ day this summer!
Could you greet our visitors with a smile?
Be on hand to help our visitors make the most of their day?
Or even help us to deliver family-friendly activities?
We are looking for volunteers who are friendly and open-minded and willing to give new things a go.
Our team is made up of people of all ages, from different walks of life. Some of our volunteers have a very strong connection to the mining industry, while others started off with very little knowledge about coal mining. You just need to be able to talk to different people and show enthusiasm for sharing the Museum’s stories.
We are based in Wakefield but are easily accessible from Huddersfield, Dewsbury and Barnsley.
This summer will be the first time in a year that we will be able to welcome visitors back to enjoy everything that we have to offer. We are well-known for our tours underground but we need you to help our visitors discover our site above ground which includes:
- Nature Trail
- Bird Hides and screen
- New Pony Discovery Centre
- Brand new exhibitions
- Adventure playground and Beach
- Authentic Industrial buildings
What will you be doing?
We are currently recruiting for two roles that will create memorable days out for visitors this summer. Both roles offer opportunities to volunteer indoors or outdoors.
You will be supporting us to deliver simple ‘hands-on’ activities to help families discover more about the coal mining story.
- Handling authentic items from our collections.
- Encouraging families to play familiar games with a mining twist.
- Helping visitors to see the environmental impact of mining, first-hand, in our pit wood.
- Delivering short talks where visitors can find out more about the people, inventions and processes behind coal mining.
You will be meeting and greeting our visitors, making sure that they receive a warm and friendly welcome. You will also be supporting visitors across our 45-acre heritage site. There is lots to see and do so you will be helping visitors plan their day and encourage them to take part in various activities, trails and demonstrations. As well as ensuring that the Museum stays ‘visitor ready’ you will be discovering more about our visitors by collecting feedback, suggestions, and personal memories of those from coal mining communities.
When can I volunteer at the Museum?
We are looking for volunteers to help us support visitors at the Museum from the 30th of June. We are open from 10am to 5pm, Wednesday to Sunday every week. We are flexible and try to accommodate the commitments of all our volunteers, many of whom have busy lives.
Why should I volunteer at the Museum?
- Meet new people and be part of a welcoming team
- Develop transferable skills you can put on your CV
- Improve your confidence and wellbeing after over a year of social restrictions
- Share your skills and knowledge
- Play your part in passing on an important national story
- Explore our unique site and discover new stories
Got a question or would like to find out more?
Email us at email@example.com
Call us on 01924 848 806 and ask for Sally-Ann Burley or Imogen Walsh