- Know the different jobs children did underground and how a family had to work together
- Understand the working conditions children had to endure underground in the early 1800’s
- Empathise with the children who worked underground and make comparisons between life then and now
- To consider the implications of the 1842 Mines Act and how it affected the lives of mining families.
- Develop literacy skills for creative writing task?
Links to curriculum:
- Local history study (significant aspect of history or site from period beyond 1066)
- Changes within living memory
- Significant people and places (miners and pits) in their own locality
- Historical enquiry skills
- Ideas, political power, industry & empire: Britain, 1745-1901
- Local history study (historical perspective: connections between local/national history)